Recently Ambank (M) Berhad (”Ambank”) would like to caution the general public on the spate of scams involving phone call, SMS spamming and voicemail launched by a coordinated syndicate. The public is advised to be wary of any attempt by a third party to secure their personal and confidential information. Here are some guidelines in handling the above scams.
A cardmember may receive a call or an sms/automated voice message that his name has been fraudulently used for a credit card application or he has incurred a transaction on his credit card and that he must call a specified number to report the fraudulent activities. The cardmember will then be given a number purportedly belonging to the credit card division of the issuing bank or `Unit Kad Palsu’ of Bank Negara Malaysia. When he dials in, he will be asked to provide personal financial information required for their necessary action.
What will then follow is that the cardmember’s personal financial information will be used by the syndicate to access his bank or credit card accounts.
Here are the recommended “dos and don’t’s” you as a cardmember can apply to inimize your risk of being scammed.
· Be suspicious if someone contacts you unexpectedly and asks for your personal financial information.
· Check the bank’s website to determine the actual customer support and other phone numbers and call the bank to verify.
· If you suspect you have been exposed to any form of scam activity, you will need to immediately inform your bank to cancel and change your account numbers, in case this information has been passed to the syndicate.
· Never respond to any SMS/phone calls requesting your personal financial details. (You may however in very special circumstances receive calls from the bank requesting you to update your contact details - contact numbers, addresses and email addresses. The bank Personnel will identify himself and clearly state the purpose of his request. For example, in the next three months, Ambank will be calling on certain cardmembers to provide Ambank with their email address as part of Ambank eStatement initiative. However, should you be in doubt of the validity of the call, please call the AmBank Contact Centre for verification). At all times, the Bank personnel will NOT ask you for ‘credit card or financial details’
· Never reveal your personal financial details to anyone.
· Never follow instructions from an unknown party to perform banking transactions or make changes to your bank account details.